Athlete wears a war symbol – level 2
The World Cup in gymnastics took place in Doha, Qatar, and spectators saw a letter ‘Z’ on a Russian athlete’s shirt.
Ivan Kuliak placed the letter Z on his shirt in the place of the Russian flag. It shocked many people because the letter Z was a symbol of war, and Kuliak was standing next to a Ukrainian athlete who won a gold medal.
People first saw the symbol on Russian tanks moving toward Ukraine. Since that time, many people started to use the symbol to show that they agreed with Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.
The International Gymnastics Federation started to investigate the incident, and it banned Russian and Belarusian athletes from all its competitions.
Difficult words: spectator (a person who watches at a show, game, or other event), invasion (when an army or country takes control of another country by force), investigate (to check something carefully, and to discover the truth about it).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.