Athletes have problems to get to Tokyo – level 3
With three weeks to go until the Tokyo 2020 Olympics, getting athletes to Japan seems like a logistical nightmare with rising COVID-19 infections.
Ensuring 11,000 athletes from more than 200 countries descend on one chosen city over the course of 16 days is normally a logistical challenge. For example, under normal circumstances, the Sri Lankan team would take a flight to Singapore and from there onto Tokyo. However, with COVID-19 cases still at almost 2,000 a day, Sri Lanka´s on many countries´ banned lists, and Singapore doesn´t allow anyone with recent travel history to even move through the city.
Although most athletes have been fully vaccinated, there have already been some upsets when two members of Uganda´s Olympic team tested positive in Japan last month.
Another logistics problem during the pandemic has been that many athletes haven´t been able to train in the locations that they normally would. Difficulty with international travel has also made getting to the necessary qualifying events extremely tricky.
Difficult words: logistics, logistical (related to the process of organizing and transporting something or someone to the final destination), descend (to go or come down), challenge (a situation that needs great effort in order to be done).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.