Attack at Somalia hotel – level 3
At least 12 people, mostly civilians, died in a hotel siege in the Somali capital of Mogadishu.
On Friday evening Al-Qaeda affiliate Al-Shabab detonated at least two bombs outside the hotel before they entered. Rescuers saved some guests and staff members; however, an unknown number of gunmen seized hostages, and they held them inside the hotel.
Al-Shabab has a long-running conflict with the Somali government; the hotel was a popular location for government employees to meet. The group controls much of southern and central Somalia, and it’s extending its influence into government areas.
In recent weeks, Al-Shabab attacked targets along the Somalia-Ethiopia border, which raised concerns about its new activity. The attack was the group’s first in the capital since May and the election of Somalia’s new president Hassan Sheikh Mohamud.
Difficult words: siege (a situation when an armed force surrounds a place), affiliate (a group or organization connected or controlled by a larger one), hostage (a person who an enemy holds so that he can get something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos