Attack in Saudi Arabia – level 2
In a series of suicide bombings in Saudi Arabia, four people died and five others were injured. The attacks came as Saudis prepared to celebrate Eid Al-Fitr, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan.
In Medina, there was an attack in the car park of the Prophet’s Mosque, the second holiest site in Islam. The Prophet Muhammed founded the mosque in 622, and it is his burial place. Millions of pilgrims visit it every year.
Elsewhere, another suicide bomber struck a mosque in the largely Shia provence of Qatif. Another bomber attacked the US consulate in Jeddah.
No one claimed responsibility for these attacks, but many people think that it is the Islamic State.
Difficult words: found (start, establish), pilgrim (a person who journeys to a holy place), strike (attack, hit).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.