Attack in Saudi Arabia – level 3
At least four people have been killed and five others injured in a series of suicide bombings in Saudi Arabia.
These images show the aftermath of one of the attacks, this one in the car park of the Prophet’s Mosque in Medina, the second holiest site in Islam. The mosque was founded by the Prophet Muhammad in 622 and is his burial place. It’s visited by millions of pilgrims every year.
Elsewhere, another suicide bomber struck a mosque in the largely Shia provence of Qatif, while yet another targeted the US consulate in Jeddah.
The attacks came as Saudis prepared to celebrate Eid Al-Fitr, marking the end of the holy month of Ramadan. No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks, but many will suspect the so-called Islamic State, who’ve carried out similar attacks in the past.
The attack on Medina, though, is unprecedented and may be seen as attempt to undermine the Saudi monarchy’s guardianship of the holy site.
Difficult words: aftermath (the situation after a disaster), pilgrim (a person who journeys to a holy place), unprecedented (never done or known before), attempt (try).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.