Attack on a museum in Tunis – level 2
Militants attacked the Bardo Museum in Tunis. They held hostages and killed 19 people. Seventeen of them were tourists.
The security forces surrounded the building and attacked the militants. The militants set all of the hostages free. One policeman, a cleaner, and two of the militants died during the operation. Three of the militants escaped.
Police do not know who the men are, the country has struggled with Islamic extremism and militants linked to Al-Qaeda and the Islamic state.
This attack is the worst since a bombing on the tourist island of Djerba in 2002.
Difficult words: militant (a person who fights), hostage (a prisoner), struggle (to try hard to fight).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this attack?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.