Attack on Two Oil Plants – level 3
Last Saturday, Houthi rebels launched drone attacks on two major Saudi Arabian oil plants.
The group’s spokesman said that they used 10 drones, and the fires from the attacks were so large that people could see them from space. A Saudi official told state-run media that investigations were ongoing.
Although the fires were under control by the evening, the attacks shut down half of the country’s oil production. One of the targets was the world’s largest oil processing facility, and The Wall Street Journal reported that the drone strikes caused Saudi Arabia to reduce its daily oil production by 5 million barrels a day, which is about 5% of the world’s daily oil production. According to Bloomberg, production expects to be restored within 48 hours.
The Houthis are a Shia Muslim rebel group from Yemen, that Iran backs (which is a Shia Islamic Republic). There has been violence in Yemen for the past four years between the Houthi rebels and the Yemeni government, which Saudi Arabia backs, as well as other Sunni Arab states.
Difficult words: launch (start).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos