Australia Day – level 1
In 1788, the British come to Australia. This is on 26th January. There are people already in Australia. They are the Aboriginal people.
People now call this day Australia Day. They celebrate. They have special events, parades and dancing.
Not everybody likes the day, however. Some people call it Invasion Day.
Difficult words: Aboriginal people (the people who are in Australia before the British come), parade (an event when people walk in the street to celebrate something), invasion (when a people take over a place).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.