Australia Day – level 2
Australia Day is on January 26th which is the day when the British came to Sydney in 1788. Australians held both celebrations and protests with parades, Aboriginal dances and citizenship ceremonies, which are the final step of becoming an Australian citizen.
On the other hand, many people call 26th January Invasion Day. Tens of thousands of people met in Melbourne where they protested for equal rights for Aboriginal people.
Difficult words: parade (an event when people walk in the street to celebrate something), Aboriginal (related to the Aboriginal people – the people who were already living in Australia when the Europeans came), equal rights (if people have equal rights, they can do same things, have the same protection and respect).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.