Australia finds a WW2 ship – level 1
Australia finds a ship in the ocean. The ship sinks in the South China Sea during World War Two. 864 Australian soldiers are onboard when the ship sinks.
The ship is called the SS Montevideo Maru. A US submarine attacks it. Over 1,000 people die in the shipwreck. They are soldiers and other people from different countries. The soldiers are prisoners of war. They die during the attack.
A group of specialists studies ocean things. They and Australia’s military find the ship. They find the ship before Anzac Day. On this day, people remember soldiers from Australia and New Zealand who die in wars.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What is Anzac Day, and why is it important for Australia?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.