Australia Floods – level 1
It rains very much in Australia last week. Heavy floods hit New South Wales. Several dams overflow. Too much water is in them. Water in the rivers goes up. Thousands of people must leave their homes.
Animals have problems, too. People try to help livestock which stay in water. Livestock are animals which people keep for meat, eggs or milk.
A big dam near Sydney overflows. Most people in Sydney drink water from this dam.
Surfers enjoy big waves on the east coast of Australia. This area is usually calm. The water is clean. Now it is brown and dirty.
The weather forecast is not good. It will rain for several days.
Difficult words: dam (when people build a wall which stops a river and it makes a lake), overflow (when too much water is in a place and it flows over the top), forecast (when people say what they think will happen in the future).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos