Avalanches in Afghanistan – level 3
Avalanches in the Nuristan Province in Afghanistan have killed at least 119 people, and nearly 200 homes have been destroyed by the heavy snowfall. In the area near the border with Pakistan, two whole villages lie buried in snow.
Rescue teams are now making their way across the treacherous routes, attempting to deliver food supplies through snow-blocked roads. The United Nations offered its help with the efforts as the Afghani government ploughs on with limited resources.
Ashraf Ghani, the Afghan president, said that natural disasters can affect any country, but Afghanistan is affected more because of the limited resources caused by the imposed war. The necessary help can reach affected people but with difficulty.
Difficult words: treacherous (dangerous), attempt (try), plough on (continue doing something even when it is difficult), imposed (forced upon).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.