Baby Needs an Operation on Her Legs – level 3
Victoria was born with a condition which means that she cannot walk properly. The little girl’s legs have no calf bones. This is an unusual deformity that only affects less than one in a million people.
Her parents were devastated. Her mother said that when she saw her baby for the first time, she was in a lot of shock. She was expecting a full, healthy baby because on every scan, the doctors said that she was perfect.
UK doctors have now told Victoria’s parents that the only option is to amputate their little girl´s legs. Her parents are now trying to raise 350 thousand pounds to take their daughter to America for life-changing treatment to save her legs. This is an operation which is not available in Britain and must be carried out before she reaches the age of two. The parents found a doctor in the US who could save her legs. The treatment would include three operations.
So far, the couple has raised around a hundred thousand pounds. Friends and family are trying to raise the rest of the funds before June when Victoria turns two.
Difficult words: devastated (very sad and shocked), amputate (remove), carry out (do), funds (money), turn two (will be two years old).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.