Baby walrus – level 3
The first baby walrus born in Germany was proudly presented today at Hamburg’s Hagenbeck Zoo.
The zoo called the pup a ‘sensation’ and a ‘premiere in the animal park’s 100-year-old history’, as births of walruses are rare worldwide.
Already sporting a beard at his young age, the walrus baby is already a local star.
As he waddled into the outdoor enclosure, blinded by all the attention, he promptly flopped into the water but was very well looked after by his mum.
For the Hamburg zoo, it’s the first birth of a walrus calf ever.
In order to avoid any risk to the pup and its mum, they were kept in the relative calm and quiet of the zoo’s interior enclosure.
As for the name of the walrus baby, it will be decided by the visitors through a competition starting next week.
Difficult words: waddle (to walk with short steps), blind (to be overwhelmed), promptly (immediately), flop (jump or fall), calf (young animal).
Any suggestions for the name? :-)
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.