Baby warthogs – level 3
Frolicking about, these are the adorable new additions to Chester Zoo. These warthog triplets have all received rather magical names, being named after “Harry Potter” characters Hedwig, Nagini and Aragog.
Mum Tamzin and Dad Magnum are the proud parents of this tiny trio, which consists of two girls and a boy. Standing at a minuscule 20 centimetres tall, the youngsters have been taking their very first playful steps outside, having spent a few weeks in their den bonding with mum.
The intriguing species are named warthogs because they all have one or two pairs of warts on their face beneath their eyes and near their tusks. Native to Africa, they’re under pressure in some parts of the continent because of drought and hunting, which have already caused some localised extinctions.
But now these latest magical additions will join a carefully coordinated European breeding programme for the species to help boost numbers of the adorable animal. They might just be the first warthogs to join Hogwarts!
Difficult words: frolic (play or move about in a cheerful and lively way), adorable (lovable, cute), addition (something added), minuscule (extremely small), den (private home), species (an animal kind), tusks (two long horns of some animals like the wild pig or the elephant), under pressure (face a hard situation), drought (extremely dry weather), boost (increase).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.