Bad weather in Europe – level 3
Torrential rain has continued in France, causing extensive flooding.
The River Seine in Paris burst its banks. The French Open tennis tournament in the city was hit for a second day by bad weather. A prison in the centre of the country had to be evacuated with detainees bussed to other facilities. On the Franco-Belgian border, 6 weeks’ worth of rain fell in just 24 hours. Dozens of villages and hamlets are underwater. Emergency services were called out 4,500 times across the country and hundreds of evacuations were carried out.
The bad weather has been affecting parts of Europe for days. Lightning injured 11 people in a Paris park – most of them children. A man was also killed by lightning in southern Poland while descending a mountain.
Forecasters have predicted more rain yet to come.
Difficult words: torrential rain (heavy rain), tournament (a series of contests), detainee (a person held; prisoner), hamlet (a place where people live that is smaller than a village), descend (to go down).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.