Bangladesh Funeral – level 1
A top Islamic preacher in Bangladesh dies. The coronavirus is in Bangladesh. The government stops public meetings. However, 100,000 people come to the funeral. People want to show their respect to the preacher.
Organizers of the funeral are surprised. They do not think that so many people can come. They want to have a small funeral. They want to follow the government´s rules.
Many people are angry with the government. The government must stop public meetings. However, local police cannot stop the people. There are too many of them.
In Bangladesh, there are almost 2,500 people with the coronavirus. 91 people die. However, officials say that the real numbers can be higher. Medical workers need more testing kits.
Difficult words: preacher (a religious leader who speaks to people about religion), public (the people who live in a place), funeral (when a person dies and people come to say goodbye), testing kit (a small box that doctors use to quickly test people to find out if they are sick or not).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.