Banksy Shocks at Auction – level 3
The painting ‘Girl With Balloon’ by the elusive artist Banksy self-destructed moments after being sold for £1.04m at auction.
There was a shredder embedded in the frame of the painting which turned on after the piece went under the hammer at Sotheby’s auction in London.
People at the auction were shocked. Some thought that the shredding was not real, and that it was all a stunt, but everything was real. The painting, the price and its destruction were all real.
People approached by the media thought that it was original and ingenious – a turning point for art.
Difficult words: elusive (difficult to identify), shredder (a machine for cutting something into pieces), embedded (built-in), go under the hammer (be sold at an auction), stunt (something unusual to attract attention), approached (asked what they think on camera), ingenious (imaginative and creative).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.