Batteries for electric cars – level 1
Volkswagen is the biggest carmaker in Europe. The company plans to invest in mines.
Volkswagen wants to control the supply chain. These days, carmakers do not want to depend on parts or materials from other companies. Soon, carmakers will make only electric cars. They will need raw materials for batteries. The problem is that mines do not produce enough materials. If carmakers control the mines, the situation will be easier for them.
Volkswagen wants to build battery plants in Europe and North America. It will send batteries to other carmakers.
Difficult words: mine (a place where people get coal or other materials from the ground), supply chain (all people and companies who make one product and get it to customers), plant (a factory).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What risks may Volkswagen face by investing in mines and building battery plants?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos