Batteries for electric cars – level 2
Volkswagen, the biggest carmaker in Europe, plans to invest in mines to make batteries for electric cars.
Carmakers don’t want to rely on third parties which supply energy and raw materials. They want to become more independent and get better control over the supply chain. Carmakers also need to meet EU targets for electrification, but raw materials which they need for batteries are rare and mines have limited capacity.
The biggest carmakers like Tesla and Volkswagen are looking for ways how to make electric cars cheaper, and investing in mines seems like a good way how to do it.
Difficult words: mine (a place where people get coal or other minerals from the ground), supply chain (all the people and companies who make a specific product and get it to customers), rare (unusual or special), limited capacity (how much a worker, machine or organization can produce).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What challenges does the car industry face when attempting to produce electric cars at scale?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.