Beached whale in Australia – level 2
A baby whale was stuck on a beach in Australia for two days. Rescuers tried to free it, who weighed between 15 and 20 tonnes.
Volunteers even put up tents to protect the whale from sunlight. They kept the whale wet.
It was not easy to help it. They wanted to move it into the water, but the rope snapped five times. Finally, a special harness allowed a boat to pull the whale back into the sea.
Difficult words: volunteer (person who does something without being paid for it), even (people worked hard), snap (break), harness (set of straps which are put on an animal).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Why do whales get beached?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.