Bear falls nine metres – level 2
A bear climbed 30 feet (9 metres) up a tree in Florida. The tree was situated very close to a house. The bear had to be removed from the tree.
People prepared a large sheet of tarpaulin, and they shot the bear with a tranquilliser gun. The bear fell down. But the sheet was not strong enough. It was torn. The bear fell through the sheet on the ground.
Luckily, the animal was not hurt. However, its head probably hurt when it woke up.
Difficult words: climb (move up), tarpaulin (large sheet of thick plastic which is used to keep rain off things), tear (hole appeared in it).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have wild animals near your house?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.