Beetles in a small town – level 3
The Argentinean town of Santa Isabel was forced to shut off its lights for several days in an effort to persuade millions of bugs to leave.
The town was plagued by beetles for over a week. Local authorities attributed the infestation both to the unusually heavy rains and heatwave that recently hit the country, when temperatures rose to almost 40 degrees Celsius. These conditions were perfect for the reproduction of the bugs, the babies of which develop below the ground. Millions of adult beetles then came to the town, attracted by its streetlights.
The insects didn’t bite or sting; however, they’re protected by a strong shell, and they tend to hit things as they fly, so authorities recommended that locals cover their faces while outside. The town was dark for several days, and the change was effective. The number of beetles decreased dramatically.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.