Beirut Explosion – level 3
A large blast shook Lebanon’s capital Beirut, causing widespread damage.
The explosion occured in the port area of the city; however, residents reported windows being shattered miles away from the blast. Lebanon’s Health Minister, Hamad Hassan, said that hundreds of people have been wounded in the explosion.
The cause of the explosion was not immediately known. Some local media pointed to a fire at a fireworks warehouse. However, later, officials said that the blast was caused by 2,750 tons of ammonium nitrate that was stored unsafely in a warehouse near the city’s port.
Authorities are still struggling to establish the full scale of the damage, as rescue efforts continue. The explosion killed at least 100 people, and the impact is devastating for the city.
Difficult words: ammonium nitrate (a chemical that is mainly used in agriculture), establish (to determine), scale (the size or level of something), devastating (very serious).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos