Belarus Election – level 1
Alexander Lukashenko is a leader of Belarus. People think he is the last dictator in Europe. Lukashenko has total power over the country.
Lukashenko becomes the president of Belarus in 1994. He wins the election six times. It is very difficult for other people to win.
This week, Lukashenko wins his sixth election. Many people are angry. They protest in the streets of the capital city and in other cities, too. People do not believe the results. People say that officials change the results.
Lukashenko’s opponent is a woman. She is an English teacher. She is not a skilled official. Some people from her team end up in prison last weekend.
Two more opponents have problems, too. One of them is in prison. The other opponent and his family leave the country.
Difficult words: dictator (a leader who has all the power in a place), election (when people vote for someone who they want to get a job, usually in politics or government), opponent (a person who competes with someone), skilled (with experience).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.