Belgian horseback fishers have problems – level 2
In a small village on Belgium’s western coast, a man named Gunther Vanbleu uses a special kind of horse to catch shrimp.
The horse goes into the water with a net, and as the horse moves, shrimp jump into the net. This way of fishing is very old and it is an important tradition.
The fishermen and women in this village live near the sea, so they see how climate change is affecting the North Sea. They catch fewer shrimp now, but they find new kinds of fish coming from the Atlantic Ocean.
Global warming makes the sea warmer, and this is changing the fishing seasons for these people. They used to stop fishing in December when they saw the first snow. Now, they don’t see snow, and their work is changing.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What changes in the fishing season have been experienced by the people in the village due to climate change?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.