Belgium match stops after shooting – level 3
The Euro 2024 qualifier match between Belgium and Sweden was suspended and later abandoned after a terrorist attack in Brussels.
Belgium raised its terror alert to the highest level when a man claiming affiliation with the Islamic State appeared in a video. Swedish players, informed of the attack before the second half, decided not to continue the match out of respect for the victims. The score was tied at 1-1 at the time of suspension. The two victims were reportedly wearing Sweden shirts. Both the Swedish coach and captain emphasized the players’ safety, with the security team ensuring their well-being.
Belgium had already secured a place in the Euro 2024 finals, while Sweden’s chance was eliminated by Austria’s draw with Azerbaijan.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think should be the consequences of terrorist attacks on international sports events?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.