Big Ben Stops – level 2
People came to see Big Ben’s last chime in London. The world-famous clock, which stands over the Houses of Parliament, will be under restoration for four years. However, it will still ring on some important events.
This is not the first time in history that The Great Bell has stopped. People stopped it for maintenance work between 1983 and 1985, and again in 2007.
Big Ben’s keeper says that the project, which will cost people £29 million, is very important. He also thinks that the tower is an ‘international symbol of democracy’.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.