Big Insect Problem – level 2
Insects are important because they are food for other animals, and they also pollinate plants. Without insects, many animals will die, and it will be hard for people to grow crops.
There is a new study which says that the number of insects is falling. Every year, there are 2.5 per cent less insects. If this goes on, there will be 25% less insects in 10 years. This would be a big problem.
People think that there are less insects because the planet is getting warmer. People also use chemicals in farming, so that can be a reason, too.
Difficult words: insects (small animals like ants, bugs, bees or flies), pollinate (move from plant to plant so that the plant can make new plants), crops (a type of plant which people grow for food).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.