Big Wave Tour in Mexico – level 3
Catching a wave and catching a break. Twelve surfers advance to the semi-finals after successfully taking on the giant waves of the Big Wave Tour Puerto Escondido Challenge in Mexico.
Competing against each other and nature, the surfers grappled with the huge waves and it was Americans Will Skudin, Makuakai Rothman, Greg Long, and Australian Jamie Mitchell who topped the score sheets of the six-man heats. Mitchell recorded the highest single wave score of the day with a perfect 10 after surviving a barrel ride through one of the mighty waves.
The Puerto Escondido Challenge is the first event of the World’s Surf League Big Wave Tour, which consists of 6 events that will take place through February of next year. And riding those surfs is no mean feat – waves must reach at least 20 feet (6 metres) in height for an event to take place. That’s got to take some guts.
Difficult words: grapple (struggle, “fight”, deal with), huge (very big), heat (preliminary/preparatory round in a race or contest), barrel (when the wave makes a tube), mighty (very powerful), to be no mean feat (to be a great achievement), guts (courage).
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.