Bizarre sports – level 2
The 38th World Toe Wresting Championship was held in a pub in England. It was not the most renowned sport, but people had a lot of fun.
The competitors’ feet were between two boards. They made the other person’s ankle touch the other side of the board. Everybody thought that big toes were an advantage. However, the world champion said that short, stubby toes were the best. He said that long toes snap easier.
Another bizarre sport event took place in England. It was the shin-kicking championship. Competitors kicked each other in the shins to make the other one fall over.
Difficult words: renowned (famous), stubby (short and thick), snap (catch), shin (lower part of your leg under the knee).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you do any bizarre sport?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.