Black Friday protests – level 3
On Black Friday Climate activists blocked 13 Amazon fulfillment centers in the UK with the goal to disrupt the company’s deliveries.
Black Friday sales day is among Amazon’s busiest all year, and according to campaigners, the company is abusing its dominance across online selling and online services to create unfair competition. Reportedly, Amazon workers face unsafe conditions, constant surveillance, and work treats them like robots. According to reports, ambulance callouts to Amazon warehouses increased by nearly 50% in the days before Black Friday. Campaigners demand Amazon to pay fairly, use fair taxes, and take responsibility for its impact on the planet.
Amazon reported a tripling of profits earlier this year, given to its success during the COVID-19 pandemic. However, protesters said that the model of endless growth was broken, and it needed to change.
Difficult words: climate activist (a person who wants to help the environment and protests or does other activities to help), dominance (power and influence over others), surveillance (close observation).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.