Black hole in our galaxy – level 2
Scientists showed the first image of the black hole which is at the center of our galaxy.
The image doesn’t actually show the black hole. The black hole’s gravity is so strong that we can see only a bright ring around it. The ring is the material, gas, and dust which the black hole is swallowing.
The black hole is four million times the mass of our Sun. The ring around it is about 60 million kilometers, which is about the same as Mercury’s orbit around the Sun.
To take the image, scientists used eight different telescopes around the world. They believe the image will help them understand gravity and how materials behave in the black hole.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.