Black water in a fountain – level 2
On April 1, activists from the Last Generation group poured a black liquid into a fountain in Rome, Italy.
Pietro Bernini designed the Barcaccia fountain in 1629. The fountain is at the base of the Spanish Steps in central Rome, and it is one of the most visited sites in Rome. Three men and one woman stepped into the fountain and opened bags with a black powder, which turned the water black. The police arrested the people and put them into custody.
The group wrote on social media that such a gesture shocked people, but they didn’t care that the world was experiencing a drought emergency. The activists wanted to make people notice that global warming is impacting water supply and sea levels, and that world leaders don’t do enough to solve this problem.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think of the Last Generation group's protest to bring attention to global warming?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.