Blind Runner – level 2
Thomas Panek is 49 years old and he is blind. He is the president of an organization that trains guide dogs. A guide dog helps a blind person travel around safely.
Panek has run more than 20 marathons with the help of his dog. But he got an idea how to make the lives of blind runners even easier. Panek started working with Google and together, they wanted to find a way that blind runners could run without their dogs. Software engineers made an app called Guideline. The app uses AI, it checks the runner’s location, and it tells him where to go.
Panek tested the app in Central Park in New York City, US, and he ran five kilometers completely on his own. He needed only his smartphone, headphones, and the app.
Difficult words: blind (a person who cannot see), marathon (a long race of about 42 kilometers), AI (artificial intelligence, a computer technology that can do something similarly to people), location (where someone or something is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.