Blue moon – level 2
There was a full moon on the 2nd of July and on the 31st of July. According to modern folklore, when there are two full moons in a month, the second one is blue.
However, this is not exactly true. Blue moons can happen, but there must be a volcanic eruption. Back in 1883, people saw blue moons almost every night after the Indonesian volcano Krakatoa exploded. Some of the volcanic ash worked as a blue filter.
On the other hand, the moon can also get red when it is low in the sky.
Difficult words: folklore (the traditional stories of an area or country), ash (very small dust), on the other hand (however).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Did you see the blue moon?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.