Bodies are found in Lima – level 2
Archaeologists uncovered the bodies of three women and one man in the Peruvian capital of Lima. The bodies date from between ad 1000 and ad 1418.
Archaeologists found the bodies at the site of a great pyramid which people built around ad 500. People buried the women with ceramics, cotton fabrics and sewing tools, which means that the women were probably weavers.
One expert said that the tombs are from the Ichma culture – a culture which existed before the Incan Empire.
Difficult words: AD (= Anno Domini = “in the year of our Lord” – after the birth of Jesus), sewing tools (things for sewing – making or repairing clothes), weaver (a person who weaves fabric – makes it), tomb (a place for dead people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this discovery?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos