Body piercing in India – level 2
Large groups of people in India follow many traditional practices like frog marriage, baby dropping, and body piercing.
Body piercing takes place every year, and the people believe that it stops diseases, but mainly chicken pox. Chicken pox is a disease which can spread among people very easily. An infection causes it and it can give you skin blisters.
During the ritual, threads pierce the body while people sing traditional songs. People believe that God gives them power, so they feel no pain.
Difficult words: pierce (when a sharp thing cuts or goes through something), blister (a small bubble), thread (a long, thin and sharp piece of fabric).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
Do you have events like this in your country too? Do you take part in them?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos