Bolivia’s New President – level 2
The Bolivian President Evo Morales resigned from his job and took political asylum in Mexico. This happened after weeks of protests and military pressure.
A Bolivian Senator, Jeanine Áñez, called herself the new president. However, she did not get enough votes because supporters of Morales did not vote. Áñez said that she wants to hold new elections quickly. She explained that she has the right to become president if the previous president resigns.
The US President, Donald Trump, is very happy that Morales resigned. He says that this is the right way to freedom for the Bolivian people. However, there are many protests and fights, so US officials who work in Bolivia and their families must leave the country.
Difficult words: resign (to leave a job), political asylum (a situation when a person leaves a country because of its political situation, and stays in another country), supporter (a person who likes a political person or party).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos