Bombings in Turkey – level 3
Thousands of people have taken part in protests in Turkey, one day after twin explosions killed at least 95 people outside the capital’s main train station. The suspected suicide bomb attack left hundreds injured, 65 remain in intensive care, while pro-Kurdish politicians put the death toll as high as 126.
Protestors today chanted anti-government slogans while some accused President Erdogan and the ruling AK Party of being responsible for the violence.
The Turkish government has described yesterday’s bombing in Ankara as a terrorist attack, the most deadly of its kind on Turkish soil.
Today, a senior government official said parliamentary elections set for November 1st will go ahead as planned, but said security will be stepped up at election rallies and the election will be held in a secure way.
Difficult words: suspected (when people are not completely sure), death toll (the number of dead people), chant (to say or sing something together), accuse (to say that somebody did something wrong), step up (to increase, to make greater), rally (a mass meeting).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos