Bombs in Ukraine – level 3
A Kyiv military unit has found around 85,000 unexploded bombs in playgrounds, fields, streets, and civilian homes.
Ukrainians soldiers planted some of these devices to deter the Russians, while others are unexploded Russian missiles. Among the bombs are internationally banned cluster bombs, that kill, injure, and maim victims within an area of a few hundred meters. Highly trained bomb disposal teams search for these land mines, and they carry little equipment or protective gear. Then, they destroy the painstakingly recovered devices in a controlled explosion.
An organization says that the operation to clear Ukraine of its landmines may continue to threaten millions of lives for decades. Vast areas of Kosovo, Croatia and Bosnia-Herzegovina remain covered with mines and other bombs more than 30 years after the Balkan wars.
Difficult words: deter (to discourage someone from doing something or to prevent something from happening), maim (to insure severely or destroy), painstaking (involving a lot of effort).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos