Bond’s Day of the Dead – level 2
In Mexico, the Day of the Dead is a very important holiday. Millions of people celebrate. They traditionally set up altars with photographs of the dead, meet at family graves, drink, sing and talk to the dead.
This year was a little different. There was something new—it was a parade. It happened in Mexico City and the James Bond film “Spectre” inspired it. You could see skeletons, traditional dancers, and musical groups. People organised the parade to bring more tourists to Mexico, and it worked. People loved it!
Difficult words: altar (a block of stone for a ceremony), graves (where we place dead people), parade (when people walk through the streets and do something special).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.