Boris Johnson’s New Baby – level 2
The UK Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, and his fiancée, Carrie Symonds, became parents. Their baby was born on Wednesday.
The couple’s spokesperson said that both Symonds and the baby are well. Johnson will probably take a short paternity leave later this year. The couple hasn’t announced the boy’s name yet. However, many people bet on Wilfred, Winston, and Alexander.
In April, Johnson was in hospital because he had COVID-19. Doctors were worried about Johnson, as he spent three days in intensive care. Johnson returned to work on Monday, and he said that he wanted to start the economy soon. However, he is worried that there could be a second coronavirus outbreak, so it is necessary to plan everything carefully.
Difficult words: fiancée (a woman who is going to get married), paternity leave (the time when a father does not go to work, and he stays at home with a baby), bet (when people guess the result of something, and they pay some money on the result), outbreak (a sudden start to something).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos