Boston Marathon bomber case – level 1
It is the year 2013. Runners run at the Boston Marathon. Bombs explode. Three people die. More than 260 people are hurt.
The Tsarnaev brothers carry out the attack. Police kill one of the men after the attack. Dzokhar Tsarnaev goes to prison. He is 28 years old. He gets a death penalty in 2015.
The situation is not easy. Many people do not agree with the death penalty. The US President Joe Biden also doesn’t like it. There is a moratorium on the death penalty in the US now. It means that it is not legally possible to kill the attacker.
Last week, a court says again that Tsarnaev will get the death penalty. People do not know when it can happen.
Difficult words: death penalty (when a government kills a person who does something very bad), moratorium (when a law says that something cannot happen), legally (when something follows a rule or law).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos