Boston Marathon Bomber – level 3
A federal appeals court has overturned the death sentence of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the two brothers responsible for Boston Marathon Bombing.
The attack happened on the 15th of April, 2013, when two homemade pressure cooker bombs detonated near the finish line of the race. Three people were killed and several hundred others were injured. Tsarnaev was convicted of 30 charges, including use of a weapon of mass destruction, and two months later, he was sentenced to death.
Last week, the court said that the judge in his trial did not do a good enough job of screening jurors for potential biases. The court ordered a new trial to decide what punishment Tsarnaev should get. However, the judges made it clear that the man could be sentenced to death again.
Difficult words: pressure cooker (a pot in which food is cooked quickly under steam pressure), weapon of mass destruction (a weapon that causes a lot of damage and it kills many people), bias (a tendency to prefer one person or thing to another, especially an unfair one).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos