Bottles become sand – level 1
Franziska Trautman and her friend are college students. They are from Louisiana, US. They are similar up many young people. The natural world worries them. They worry about that the coast is eroding.
Franziska and her friend get an idea. They want to recycle glass bottles. They want to make sand from them.
They learn there is no place in Louisiana which recycles glass. They must buy a machine. They have no money. They get money from people.
They get a machine. It breaks glass into small pieces. The machine takes out metal, plastic, and paper. People use the sand for sandbags, floors, or for help on the coast.
People use too much sand. Nature can’t make enough sand. Sand from bottles can help solve this problem.
Difficult words: erode (to get worse and worse), recycle (to make new things from things which people don’t use anymore), sandbag (a bag full of sand, which people use to stop something like water).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos