Brain implant trial – level 2
Elon Musk’s company Neuralink received approval to start finding people for the first human test of its brain implant for paralyzed patients. The test will last about six years, but the exact number of participants is not clear.
During the test, a robot will put an implant in the part of the brain which controls movement. Neuralink plans to allow people to control a computer with their minds only.
At first, Neuralink wanted to put the implant in ten patients, but they had to talk with the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) worried about the safety. So at the moment, it is not clear how many patients the FDA allows.
Elon Musk believes that Neuralink can help with other problems like obesity, autism, depression, and schizophrenia. Experts say that even if the implant is safe for people, it will take more than ten years to use it widely.
Difficult words: paralyzed (not being able to move or feel part of the body), participant (a person who takes part in something), schizophrenia (a mental illness in which people think, feel, and behave unusually).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What long-term effects could the Neuralink implant have on people?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.