Brazilian Migrants – level 1
Many people leave Brazil. They want to get to the US. They want to find work and live better lives. However, it is not easy for them.
They come to the US border with Mexico. They must wait there for a special immigration process. They explain their situation. They explain why they want to live in the US. Officials decide if these people can stay in the US or if they must leave.
The situation in Brazil is complicated. Many people do not want to live there. The number of migrants from Brazil is getting higher and higher. Now, there are about 60,000 people who wait in Mexico.
Some organizations are not happy about the situation in Mexico. They say that it is a dangerous place for the migrants. There is a lot of violence.
Difficult words: immigration (the situation when a person comes to live in a different country), migrant (a person who moves from one place to another, usually to live better), violence (a situation when a person physically hurts someone else).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.