Breast cancer donations – level 3
The pink ribbon is the official symbol of breast cancer awareness, which the US celebrates for a whole month.
Breast cancer in women is nearly 20% of all cancer deaths, second only to lung cancer. However, with almost 575 million dollars, it receives the most government funding in the US. Despite all the funding, private businesses still show pink for an entire month. We see the pink on products at the supermarket, clothing stores, and even football team uniforms.
The focus on women’s bodies encourages buying products, and the pink ribbon is nice and pretty. However, there have been plenty of questionable products and events with no official record of how much money was raised through them. The US government isn’t allowed to demand the charity spend a minimum amount of donations on their programs. So instead of going towards research for treatment or a cure, some donations can go to the pockets of the organization’s board.
Difficult words: funding (money provided by an organization or government for a particular purpose), questionable (doubtful or wrong in some way), donation (a sum of money given to a charity).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos