Bridge in Germany falls down – level 3
This is what’s left of a part of a motorway bridge in Germany.
The bridge that was under construction in Bavaria collapsed on Wednesday, killing at least one construction worker. A 40-metre part of the bridge plunged 20 metres to the ground while construction workers were working on the site. One worker was killed and another 12 injured.
The Schraudenbach Valley bridge will carry part of the A7 motorway, which presently runs alongside on the old bridge and was luckily not affected.
Initially, several deaths were reported, with police unable to say how many workers had been trapped and whether any cars had been travelling on the road beneath. Police are not entirely sure of how many people may still be trapped under the rubble, as a small road and cycle path run parallel to the bridge, making it difficult to get through all of the debris.
Four helicopters and a dozen ambulances were brought in to transport the injured to hospital.
Difficult words: plunge (fall), rubble (pieces of stone, brick, concrete, etc.), debris (broken pieces), dozen (many).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.